Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oh, I've just been busy filming a grown man running around naked in the woods at freezing temps, you?

(Believe me, this is one time you'd thank me for including a pic of Rocky Dennis.)

Man, two months have flown by since I last posted. Damn holidays! Went to N. Ireland with Meggy to visit the Mom and spent the new year there. Really fun. I'm back on the road with CMF, and am in Florida and beyond for the duration. So, time to catch up on the blog.

We shot a new Bervis short right before I left, as it was of course left until the last minute to do so and Travis had to get butt naked in the woods while it was snowing and rainy. For those that don't know, a little back-story on Bervis. He's basically a mix between Ric Flair and Aileen Wurnos, a drifter who goes on wild adventures that I can best describe as "Duck Tales-esque". The character started as part of a comedy show that we were producing for the school television station I used to run. It ended up being really funny and the character was oddly endearing. We then put together a cartoon pitch dubbed "Bindle Yarns: Tales from the Barrel Fire" and tried our luck over at Adult Swim. It turned out pretty cool (thanks to Adam Ford and Joe Karg), and we got some interest in it.









(Art by Adam Ford)

Then months go by, and we hear nothing. Not a no or a yes, just a "Change this one thing if you want..." and then nothing else. Okay, they didn't go for it. So Travis and I re-tooled it, and started writing it for live action again. We were kind of figuring "fuck it, it'll find an audience online." We now wanted to go all out, and make it dirty as fuck since it was going online. We ended up shooting four short vignettes for it. So now we have a couple of shorts about a hobo who is dick swinging naked for most of the show's running time, and I mean full glory naked (Travis is awesome, and I can't believe half of the shit he's agreed to do for this. Amazing.) urinates openly, talks shit, and gets butt raped for an ambulance ride to the hospital. Ridiculous. And then we got word that Adult Swim was willing to take a look at it again, now that we've shot some new stuff. Pretty cool. Doubt anything will come from AS, but it's an opportunity none the less. And I kind of feel like this is so different from anything else, that it has a better opportunity despite being unshowable on t.v. We'll see.

Working on this means, unfortunately, that I also haven't even looked at that little project we shot while I was in L.A. with the still images. I'll get around to it as soon as I polish up Bervis. And I'm trying to decide if I should just post the new cut of the Agoraphobic or not. I want to send it to festivals, but want everyone to see it ASAP. I'll probably put it up soon.

2 comments:

  1. Bervis is making a comeback! hell yeah. joe showed me this years ago when yall were pitching it to adult swim and shit. funny as hell. i remember the voice acting is where the short really shined. can't wait to see the revamped Bindle Yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. It definitely sets the bar higher on fucked up shit.

    ReplyDelete